12 April 2006

We're in Passion Week

This is the most important week in the Christian year, culminating in Good Friday and then Easter Sunday.
As a listening bonus, you can enjoy this song, "Watch The Lamb" sung by my US friend, David Floyd. [Right click and select "Save As ...". Be warned it is almost 7mb.] I have obtained the lyrics from Ray Boltz as he also sings this song but I much prefer David's version. David is singing with no accompaniment and we regularly enjoy listening and pondering the lyrics. Whilst we were listening to it again tonight, Lana commented it always gives her goosebumps towards the end.
Details are below the fold ...

Watch the Lamb

Words and Music by Ray Boltz

The Fifth Station of the Cross - Marian Valley

Walking on the road to Jerusalem
The time had come to sacrifice again
My two small sons,
They walked beside me on the road
The reason that they came
Was to watch the lamb

CHORUS:
Daddy, daddy what will we see there?
There's so much we don't understand
So I told them of Moses
And Father Abraham
And then I said,
Dear children, Watch the lamb

For there will be so many
In Jerusalem today
We must be sure the lamb
Doesn't run away
And I told them of Moses
And Father Abraham
And then I said,
Dear children, Watch the lamb

When we reached the city
I knew something must be wrong
There were no joyful worshippers
No joyful worship songs
I stood there with my children
In the midst of angry men
And then I heard the crowd cry out,
Crucify Him

We tried to leave the city
But we could not get away
Forced to play in this drama,
A part I did not wish to play
Why upon this day
Were men condemned to die?
Why were we standing here
Where soon they would pass by?

I look and said, Even now they come
The first one cried for mercy,
The people gave him none
The second one was violent,
He was arrogant and loud
I still can hear his angry voice
Screaming at the crowd

Then someone said, There's Jesus!
And I scarce believed my eyes
A man so badly beaten,
He barely looked alive
Blood poured from His body,
From the thorns upon His brow
Running down the cross
And falling to the ground

I watched Him as He struggled
I watched Him as He fell
The cross came down upon His back,
The crowd began to yell
In that moment I felt such agony
In that moment I felt such loss
Until a Roman soldier grabbed my arm
And screamed, You, carry His cross!

At first I tried to resist him
Then his hand reached for his sword
And so I knelt and took
The cross from the Lord
I placed it on my shoulder
And started down the street
The blood that He'd been shedding
Was running down my cheek

They led us to Golgotha
They drove nails
Deep in His feet and hands
And yet upon the cross
I heard Him pray, Father forgive them
Never have I seen such love
In any other eyes
Into thy hands I commit My spirit,
He prayed and then He died

I stood for what seemed like years
I'd lost all sense of time
Until I felt two tiny hands
Holding tight to mine
My children stood there weeping
I heard the oldest say
Daddy, please forgive us
The lamb ran away

Daddy, daddy what have we seen here?
There's so much
That we just don't understand
So I took them in my arms
And we turned and faced the cross
And then I said,
Dear children, there's the Lamb

©1986 Shepherd Boy Music/ASCAP.

3 comments:

Bretta said...

Beautiful! I told Ward to "listen to this" without telling him who/what it was...two words into the song he says "that's David...I work with him every day, of course I know it's him"
:o)

DavidofOz said...

When we first heard David sing we were enthralled. It's not often you hear one of your friends sing with such strength and passion. All we could do was listen with amazement and the respond with "Preach it brother". (A phrase we learnt down South)
Actually his whole family has a gift for singing. I thought David sang so powerfully that I suggested he forget about musical accompaniment and just use that voice God gave him. This song is a great example.

Karen Edmisten said...

Beautiful! This song always leaves me in tears anyway, and this man has a lovely voice ....