3 November 2008

A Model Son in Law

I received a phone call from a lady in our Parish when I was working away from home a few weeks ago. This lady began to explain to me how she was organising a fundraiser to provide funds for maintenance of the parish church. She thought a Fashion show would be a good idea and spent about 20 minutes building up to the question, "Will you be one of the models?"
I could see this coming and said, "Sure. Are you desperate for suitable volunteers?"
She breathed a sigh of relief and said she would be in touch for the fitting and other details.
I immediately emailed Lana with what was happening. About half way into the email I included a photo of me using my webcam looking very "Model-ish" and the comment "Stop laughing!"  (The picture above is me in "Model mode")
I was right! She was laughing very much and so was Ariel who was looking over her shoulder.
About a week or so later our neighbour who works with a fellow parishioner was told he was going to the store to pick up some clothes.
"Don't you have enough clothes?" she asked.
"No. I am in a fashion show. With David."
"David?" she asked.
"Yeah, David your neighbour."
A picture came into her head of me doing the model thing and she began laughing and had to take her break. She figured it was all a joke until she visited Lana who confirmed it all.
That weekend Lana's Mum asked Lana, "How's my model son in law going?"
Friends that visit us each week also were amused and wanted to come, too.
All up I ended up with a support team of 14 people. And Lana secretly made up little flags with "David" on them to wave when I came out to show the fine clothes.
The night finally arrived and the first outfit was casual. The children couldn't remember me in shorts and flip-flops/thongs - it was a sight to see. The white legs certainly were impressive.
I didn't know about the little "David" flags until I first came out and saw a wave of flags waving.
The next outfit was smart casual and the third was a "James Bond" style outfit - Tuxedo, with white shirt and bow tie. A suitable "Oooh" was heard when I walked out. Now that was more like it.
The last outfit was a winter sporting outfit with beanie and it was very hot - but also something I never normally wear. The children thought it was all great fun seeing Dad dress up.
The Fund raiser went very well and over $2,000 was raised to assist in Church maintenance. And I am left with the seemingly never ending "supportive" comments relating to my very fashionable modelling career.

1 comment:

karisma said...

Oh very nice! But ahem, where is the tux photo? Really, an aussie guy in thongs and shorts is pretty much the norm around here! I want to see the James Bond look David!